Saturday, October 13, 2012

Crash reporting android apps

I started using https://www.crittercism.com for crash reporting of my photo frame app. It only makes the app 40 kB bigger (peanuts on a 1Mb app) but sends the stacktrace automatically to their servers.
Where I normally receive one or two crash reports a day, it was soon clear to me that the problem is a lot bigger than that. Thanks to the detailed stack trace, I was able to resolve most of the problems really quick.

On a daily basis I have 300 people checking out my app but only 100 or less keeping it. Now it is clear to me why. Most of these users run into a crash that does not occur on my test devices. I hope the number of users that keep my app will be higher now and that the current users will have a more stable app.

2 comments:

  1. Jeroe, ik gebruik je app Slideshow op een Android Rikomagic. Wat bedoel je met het commando "recursief"? Ik kan niet ontdekken wat deze doet. En het luktmij niet op ergens in een bestand op een willekeurige plek de slideshow te starten. Iederee keer begint het bij het begin.
    Arjen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Met recursief, wordt bedoeld dat ook in de sub folders gezocht wordt naar foto's.
    Je kan de sortering aanpassen in de opties maar inderdaad kan je niet beslissen met welke foto de slideshow begint. Dit staat nog op mijn todo lijst.

    ReplyDelete